db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Is there some way to shut down a Derby database faster?
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 12:18:46 GMT
On 7/1/13 6:01 PM, Trejkaz wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Is there some way to shut down a Derby database in a faster way?
>
> The current ;shutdown=true we're using is doing a checkpoint, which
> seems to be a particularly expensive operation.
>
> I can't rely on the "if you don't want to do the checkpoint, just
> don't shut it down" approach, because this won't release file handles
> and when the user closes the database they expect to be able to move
> the files immediately after.
>
> TX

If you simply exit the VM without requesting an orderly shutdown, then
the checkpoint won't be performed. However, the cleanup performed by
that checkpoint still has to be performed. It will be performed the next
time you boot the database. My experience is that if you always skip the
orderly shutdown, then the time required to boot the database grows
progressively longer until it is intolerable. Full disclosure: I haven't
tried this experiment for a long time and there may have been
improvements in this area. Nevertheless, orderly shutdown is the
recommended practice.

Hope this helps,
-Rick