db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Maison Mo <momai...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: Question on database, schemas and backups
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 06:56:22 GMT

--- En date de : Ven 28.6.13, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> a écrit :
> > For a multi-tenant application, we evaluate the
> multiple databases pattern and single database / multiple
> schemas pattern.
> > Regarding the backup process, it seems that the whole
> database is backed up by the
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE(), thus all schemas in this
> DB : is that correct ?
> > Is it then possible to restore a single schema ?
> I don't believe so. There is no schema-isolating switch
> associated with
> the restoreFrom connection attribute. It would be an
> interesting problem
> to work on. It would involve subsetting the data in the
> system catalogs
> and computing the referential closure of all tables, views,
> constraints,
> and routines in the target schema. Those objects could
> reference objects
> in other schemas.

Thank you for this information.
In mycase all schemas would be separated (no shared table, procedure or constraint...), if
it can simplify things.
So in order to restore a backup for schema X only, I would need to do things manually :
- restore the backup in a temp DB
- expurge any schema X related object from main DB
- manually "merge" the temp DB schema X objects into the main DB

This does not look very exciting.
Can you imagine another way of proceeding ?

  M.