db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Question on database, schemas and backups
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:44:46 GMT
On 6/28/13 12:07 AM, Maison Mo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a multi-tenant application, we evaluate the multiple databases pattern and single
database / multiple schemas pattern.
> Regarding the backup process, it seems that the whole database is backed up by the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE(),
thus all schemas in this DB : is that correct ?
> Is it then possible to restore a single schema ?
I don't believe so. There is no schema-isolating switch associated with
the restoreFrom connection attribute. It would be an interesting problem
to work on. It would involve subsetting the data in the system catalogs
and computing the referential closure of all tables, views, constraints,
and routines in the target schema. Those objects could reference objects
in other schemas.

Hope this helps,
-Rick
> Given a jdbc client, it is possible to change schema once connection is established.
Is it also possible to change the database ?