db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag Wanvik <dag.wan...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Replication Master stop, but Slave still alive
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:30:46 GMT

On 11.06.2013 18:50, benrahman wrote:
> /Master derby.log/
> ----  BEGIN REPLICATION ERROR MESSAGE (6/5/13 3:35 PM) ----
> Exception occurred during log shipping.
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
> 	at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
> 	at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
> 	at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)

Looks like the socket the master uses to ship records to slave stopped
working; hard to say what's the issue here. Do you see anything in the
slave's log file at this time instant?

Later replication error messages in the master's log file show that the
buffer grows full (since it can't send):

> ----  BEGIN REPLICATION ERROR MESSAGE (6/6/13 5:46 PM) ----
> Exception occurred during log shipping.
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.replication.buffer.LogBufferFullException
>	at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.replication.buffer.ReplicationLogBuffer.switchDirtyBuffer(Unknown

Not sure why the slave doesn't fail over; maybe the master process needs
to be stopped (crash) before it will happen..
It is probably right that it doesn't happen when you first see the
socket write error; it could be due to a intermittent network error.
But I believe the slave and master have a keep-alive protocol to enable
the slave to fail over when the master is not longer seen to be alive.

View raw message