db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Raymond Kroeker <raykroe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Indication of progress during long commits
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 14:53:01 GMT
Hi Al,

Can you break the large commit into several smaller commits then
display progress there?
For example instead of, "Saving Account..." you could break it into
"Saving spreadsheet 1 of 3..."

The other option might be to collect a small set of historical samples
of how long the commit takes; and "fake progress" there.  Less work
than refactoring I agree, but it might be a near term win.

Out of curiosity; how long is your commit?  Are you saving larger
binary objects or large volumes of rows?

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 5/20/13 1:26 PM, Al Eridani wrote:
>>
>> I've been asked to find out whether it is possible to get some indication
>> of progress during commits that take a long time. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Hi Al,
>
> I don't know a way to do this today. However, it might be an interesting
> piece of instrumentation to add to the engine. Maybe something JMX-based.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Raymond Kroeker