db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: jruby and Cloudscape 5.1 help needed
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 12:22:19 GMT
On 5/16/13 12:09 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Cloudscape 5.1.2 database.  By that I mean I have a directory and inside that
directory, I see two things:
> 1) A subdirectory named FooClientDb
> 2) A flat file named FooClientDb_FOO.properties.
>
> The subdirectory has various things the most interesting is another subdirectory called
seg0 which has  a lot of *.dat files that contain the data.

> My quest really is to just dump this out as a sequence of SQL commands but I haven't
found anything to do that with.

> Assuming that the super easy path is not possible, I was going to write a ruby program
and use jruby to run it.

> I have various jar files like:
>
> db2j.jar
> db2jcc.jar
> db2jcview.jar
> db2jnet.jar
> db2jtools.jar
>
> which I can load into jruby.
>
> But I can't even figure out how to connect to the database.  I can't find the API for
the old IBM version (the db2j.jar file).  etc.

> Since Derby came from Cloudscape, I thought I'd ask this group for help and advice.
>
> For example: on various web pages, they tell me to connect to this database using a "Wizard"
which isn't what I want to do (I don't even have it.) I want to just be able to run my program
and have it connect to this database.  How would I do that if I was using Java?

> This may be the same as "where is the java API?" -- which you guys provide but I haven't
found it yet for the old IBM Cloudscape.

> I know this is a somewhat scattered request but I don't know where to start.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Perry

Hi Perry,

Maybe someone on this list can help you get a copy of the Cloudscape 5.1
jars. At one point, the Cloudscape jars were free even though the code
wasn't open-sourced yet. Also at one point, Cloudscape was bundled with
Websphere. You might be able to find an old version of Websphere which
has 5.1 or later Cloudscape jars.

Finally, it's possible that you might be able to hack the RawDBReader
attached to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6136. But that
won't help you if the data file format has changed since Cloudscape 5.1.
I don't know whether it has.

Hope this helps,
-Rick