db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Native authentication and password expiry date
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 14:11:42 GMT
On 5/9/13 6:47 AM, Thomas wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> thanks for pointing me to the lastmodified column on the sysusers table.
> I think your query tells me how many days ago the password has been changed.
> So would I need to compare this to the property
> derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeMillis
> to get to know the remaining days?
>
> In my installation I have not changed this property which by default I
> understand is a system-wide property set to 31 days.
>
> Is there a system function which allows me to retrieve the value of a
> system-wide property?
>
> as I think the approach needed might be to first check if the default of the
> property has been changed at database level by executing
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY
> ('derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeMillis');
> If this returns null (what it does in my installation) I know the property
> is set at system level. But how do I then retrieve the value of a system
> property? I have not found a system procedure for this.
Hi Thomas,

Derby properties can be specified as system properties, in
derby.properties, or in the database. The way that these three property
sets interact can be confusing. I have created a JIRA for providing a
way for users to see what Derby thinks a property has been set to:

Here's how you manually inspect these three property sets:

o system properties - Use java.lang.System.getProperty()

o derby.properties - Use java.util.Properties.load()

o database properties - Use syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property()

Hope this helps,
-Rick