db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Executing SQL file: character encoding
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:07:52 GMT
On 3/26/13 10:19 AM, rgasch wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> thank you for your reply. Sorry for not being clearer. The load is
> succeeding even without the derby.ui.codeset property being set. However,
> when selecting the data in ij afterwards, some of the special characters do
> not display as intended.
>
> So there is some sort of encoding/conversion mismatch happening during
> import of the SQL file. Surely there is a way to avoid this so I'm trying to
> figure out what the correct encoding for the SQL file is to prevent such
> problems without having the specify the derby.ui.codeset property.
>
> Greetings/Thanks
> Robert

Hi Robert,

It's not clear to me that the data was mangled when it was imported. It
might have been. But it's likely that the data is actually correct in
the database. The problem may simply be that the unicode strings stored
in the database contain characters which cannot be displayed using the
default encoding which the ij tool uses. The derby.ui.codeset property
overrides the default display codeset used by the ij tool.

Hope this helps,
-Rick