db-derby-user mailing list archives

From rgasch <rga...@gmail.com>
Subject IDENTITY fields as primary keys: inserts vs. system generated values
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:21:34 GMT
I'm in the process of porting an application to derby and I've hit a major
stumbling block in the sense that we're using a SQL script to populate our
database. Since we have columns declared as
  id integer NOT NULL GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY
and
  PRIMARY KEY (id)
we're hitting the situation that in our application inserts fail since the
system generated IDs are already taken by the IDs claimed by our SQL load.

I've found the following thread related to this

http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/quot-generated-by-default-quot-question-tt98475.html

I understand the arguments made in the thread that this is not a bug but
rather a feature (I'm not saying I'm agreeing with this notion but that's
beside the point). But since this thread is from 2006, I was wondering if in
the meantime some sort of solution has been added to derby to gracefully
avoid generating already used sequence numbers?

Can someone who's in the know confirm or deny this?

Greetings/Thanks
Robert