db-derby-user mailing list archives

From rgasch <rga...@gmail.com>
Subject Executing SQL file: character encoding
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:15:14 GMT
I am importing a SQL file which originally was created by mysqldump. The
character encoding of this file is UTF-8. For reference, I am doing this on
a Linux machine (although that should not matter).

After massaging the file to account for the syntactic differences in MySql
and Derby, the SQL is processed without errors. However, I am having trouble
correctly loading non-ASCII characters (such as
À,Á,Â,Ã,Å,à,á,â,ã,å,Ò,Ó,Ô,Õ,Ø,ò,ó,ô,õ,ø,È,É,Ê,Ë,è,é,ê,ë,Ç,ç,Ì,Í,Î,Ï,ì,í,î,ï,Ù,Ú,Û,ù,ú,û,ÿ,Ñ,ñ,ß,ä,Ä,ö,Ö,ü,Ü).

I've managed to solve this by using the derby.ui.codeset=utf8 definition in
a properties file, however I would prefer to have a solution which does not
rely on this.

So, in order to achieve this, what character encoding to I have to save this
SQL file in, in order to be able to import data containing such characters
without having to rely on the derby.ui.codeset setting? I know that the
derby docs say that derby expects the files to be encoded in UNICODE, but
somehow that doesn't seem to be equal to UTF8 so I'm at a loss as to what
exactly it expects.

Greetings/Thanks
Robert