db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Apache derby Query
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:57:10 GMT
Hi Ravi,

Glad to hear that you are looking at Derby. Some comments inline...

On 2/12/13 1:46 AM, Kovour, Ravikanth wrote:

> Hi Derby Team,
>
> I want to use JavaDB ( Apache derby ) in my application which a
> commercial one.
>
> I know that its free and open source.
>
> Could you please clarify following queries ?
>
> 1)Is there any licensing cost involved if I use Derby as part of my
> application ?

That's right. There is no licensing cost.

> 2)If I face any issues in using this or any issues in Derby software
> will derby team support ? If so what is the turnaround time ?

Most questions sent to derby-user and derby-dev are answered promptly.
However, there is no service level agreement and no iron-clad guarantee
that the community can solve your problem. Two big companies (Oracle and
IBM) have committed resources to Derby. I don't know whether IBM offers
service options for Derby. Oracle offers the following:

o Support during development if you buy a Java SE Support contract.

o Production support if you buy a Java Embedded Suite license.

For details on service level agreements, you would need to talk to an
Oracle sales rep.

Hope this helps,
-Rick