db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: NullPointerException when Shuting Down Derby
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:56:36 GMT
On 1/30/2013 12:13 PM, Oskar Zinger wrote:
> This is only happening in a specific scenario when a host application
> server failbacks, so what it does is stops a service that manages
> derby network server, and restarts it.
>
> There is no second shutdown, because if that was happening I would see
> duplicate debug message that tell me that the code is about to execute
> shutdown.
>
> This is done in master and slave derby replication environment. This
> does not happen always during shutdown of derby.
Thanks Oskar for the information. I am not at all familiar with the
replication environment, so can't say what to expect or not or whether
adding the null check would help. I would suggest you go ahead and  file
an issue in Jira and then  perhaps some folks on the dev list with a
knowledge of replication will be able to provide input.

If you can reproduce with a debug build that would be helpful and
provide line numbers.  Derby is easy to build if you want to try out the
Null Pointer Check in your environment.

See
http://db.apache.org/derby/dev/derby_source.html
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.html?view=co