db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kim Haase <camilla.ha...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: What do you use to get an ER diagram of an existing Derby database?
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:17:50 GMT
Here are a couple of possibilities from people who've used such tools:

1)   What I've used is called MySQL Workbench, freely available at
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/ (GPL license).
   First dump the sql structure from a DB using dblook
(http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/tools/ctoolsdblook.html) and then
import into workbench.

   Sometimes the sql file is not perfect (specific derby syntax for
something) but it's something very easy to change during import.

2) I've also used a tool called schemacrawler to generate diagrams. The
output formats include PNG and SVG.
http://schemacrawler.sourceforge.net/

It works with a bunch of different databases, and will generate the
graphic on a live database.

The downsides are that the diagrams don't look as nice as MySQL
Workbench, and I couldn't get it to graphically show the FKs.

Hope this helps!

Kim Haase