db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oskar Zinger <oska...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NullPointerException when Shuting Down Derby
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:38:22 GMT
Hi Kathey,

Here is what happens...

Yes, this is a multi-threaded system. No, only one shutdown request is happening. I have not
tried with deregister=true.

The new finding is...

This NullPointerException is only happening in a Single CPU (or single Core) system. When
the system and Kernel is upgraded to 2 CPU / core system - the NullPointerException no longer
happens, also the same has been tried on a 4 CPU / core system and it does not happen there
again. So strangely this is only happening on a single processor system.

I feel that there should be a check for null in org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.XactFactory.add()
method to check for ttab for null.

Regards,
Oskar

________________________________
 From: Katherine Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>
To: Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Cc: Oskar Zinger <oskarzn@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: NullPointerException when Shuting Down Derby

On 1/28/2013 3:04 PM, Oskar Zinger wrote:

I just upgraded to 10.8.3 and I am still running into the same NullPointerException (NPE).

>This is actually different, it comes from:
>org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.XactFactory.add(Unknown Source)

Hi Oskar,

Thank you for upgrading to the latest. That always makes things
    easier to debug.
I guess the next step is to understand how you get into this state.
Is there a stand alone reproduction that you can post in Jira?
Is there something in the log prior to this NPE that might give us
    an indication of what was going on when you got the NPE?

Is your program multi-threaded? Is there possibly more than one
    thread shutting down at once?  Do you have the same problem if you
    use deregister=true?

Best

Kathey

Thanks,
>Oskar
>

>________________________________

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true;deregister=false");

>>Here is the exception stack trace:
>>

>>Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.XactFactory.add(Unknown Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.XactFactory.pushTransactionContext(Unknown
Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.XactFactory.startInternalTransaction(Unknown
Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.checkpointWithTran(Unknown
Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.checkpoint(Unknown
Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.RawStore.stop(Unknown Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.stop(Unknown Source)
>>        at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.shutdown(Unknown
Source)