db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: what do errors like these mean?
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:38:09 GMT
On 21.12.2012 16:18, Pavel Bortnovskiy wrote:
> Thank you, Knut, for your prompt response.
>
> It seems that my caching of Prepared Statements is causing some problems.
> In some previous responses, it was indicated that Derby is caching them internally anyway,
so maybe a better approach for me is not to cache them on my side and create them anew? Most
of my inserts/updates are done in batches, so I could create a PrepStmt before the batch and
remove a reference to it at the end of the batch's execution. If the performance penalty for
compilation of PrepStmt is not that great, then such approach may be more desirable to avoid
errors in the production environment.

Hi Pavel,

Are you using the embedded driver or the client driver?
The client driver can cache statements on the client side if you use the
ConnectionPoolDataSource. This may save you some round-trips, but note
that this caching is in addition to the caching that happens on the
server side.

--
Kristian

> Thanks,
> P.

happens because some DDL operation (for example DROP INDEX, TRUNCATE TABLE or SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE)
has removed the file, and an already compiled statement still references it.

> The error indicates a bug in Derby, so if you find a way to reproduce it, or some pattern
that seems to increase the likelihood of the error, please file a bug report.

> Derby should invalidate already compiled statement referencing the table when DDL is
performed on it, and that should make the statement recompile automatically the next time
it is executed. There have been bugs in that area, though. (We fixed some of them in 10.9.1.0,
in case you haven't already upgraded.)

> One possible workaround in that case is to call the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EMPTY_STATEMENT_CACHE
procedure to remove the stale query plans from the statement cache.

> --
> Knut Anders
>
> Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of this email,
including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which
it was addressed. If you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward, disclose
or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. This email may be produced at
the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability
for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other than intended
recipients is prohibited. In the United Kingdom, Jefferies operates as Jefferies International
Limited; registered in England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper Thames
Street, London EC4V 3BJ. Jefferies International Limited is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.