db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Boolean in version 10.9
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2012 23:24:47 GMT
On 12/15/12 2:18 PM, James B. Millard wrote:
> I've been using derby on windows for a few weeks and decided to move my
> development to Linux (Fedora 14).
>
> I have database creation scripts that I'm trying to run but I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> ij>  CREATE TABLE COMPONENT_PROPERTIES
>          ( ID INTEGER NOT NULL GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY (START WITH 1,
> INCREMENT BY 1),
> 	  COMPONENT_CLASS 	VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_SHORT_NAME 	VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_LONG_NAME 	VARCHAR(64),
> 	  PROPERTY_CLASS 	VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_FORMAT_CLASS VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_FORMAT_DATA  VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_READ_ONLY 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_EDIT_CREATE 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_PERIOD 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_TO_DATE 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_DISPLAY 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_CATEGORY 	VARCHAR(16) );
> ERROR XCL47: Use of 'BOOLEAN' requires database to be upgraded from version
> 10.5 to version 10.7 or later.
>
> This seems odd since I'm running 10.9 and these same scripts worked under
> Windows with the same version of derby.
>
> Here's what I see when I start ij:
>
> [jbm@hk sql]$ ij
> ij version 10.9
> ij>
That diagnostic message tells you what version of the Derby software is
being run against your database. However, your database may have been
created by an earlier version of the Derby software. Unless you
explicitly hard-upgrade the database, it remains at the version of the
Derby software which created it. You may need to hard-upgrade the
database to version 10.9. The following ij command will show the
database version:

values syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property( 'DataDictionaryVersion' );

Hard-upgrade is described in the section titled "Upgrading a database"
in the Derby Developer's Guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/devguide/index.html

Hope this helps,
-Rick