db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: How to reset Derby Database in JVM
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 00:07:18 GMT
On 11/13/2012 3:27 PM, Oskar Zinger wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thank you for the pointers to the right places in the documentation.
>
> Here is what I used:
> Shutting down the system:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/devguide/tdevdvlp20349.html
> Shutting down Derby or an individual database:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/devguide/tdevdvlp40464.html
>
> I am using Derby Network Server... and I think it would have helped if the
> documentation mentioned somewhere that this same approach would work for
> Client / Server deployment of Derby. Somehow it seemed to me this would have
> only worked for an Embedded deployment of Derby.
I think that it will only work really well for Embedded. Shutting down
remotely can lead to protocol errors and also prevent you from getting
the nested exception for the SQLException returned because the system is
shutdown.

  If you are using embedded Server I would recommend using the embedded
URL if you can.