db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John English <john.fore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Localisation problem
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:27:16 GMT
For what it's worth, I've come up with a nasty dirty solution which I'm
posting here in case anyone else ever needs it...

In my original problem, I had a view which included a column defined
like this:

   TimeFormat(time) AS usr_time,

I now have "time AS usr_time" instead, so that the selected value is
unformatted. I then tweak the select statement from this:

   SELECT usr_time,facility,event,details
   FROM   user_history_log
   WHERE  username='FOO' AND usr_time LIKE '%oct%'
   ORDER BY time DESC;

to this:

   SELECT TimeFormat(usr_time,'xx') AS usr_time,facility,event,details
   FROM   user_history_log
   WHERE  username='FOO' AND TimeFormat(usr_time,'xx') LIKE '%oct%'
   ORDER BY time DESC;

Since this statement is built in the method that displays the table, the
locale is accessible and can be plugged in as a string literal 'xx' as a
second parameter to TimeFormat. The filtering is based on the formatted
text (which is now correctly localised) and the sorting is still based
on the underlying timestamp.

I can't say I'm impressed with the elegance of my code, but what the
hell, it works!
--
John English