db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: WG: for looking up Schema-Version
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 17:07:56 GMT
On 10/4/12 8:45 AM, Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I have following situation and like to know if there is any best
> practice, since it seems to me a common one:
> I have a data-Base wanting to grading up the schema. My curren version
> of my application finds already out if the schma needs to be put into
> the database using sql state 42X05. Because having now the
> possibilities of having an old database for upgrade or having none at
> all and the need of building up the whole schema there might be
> different ways to acknoledge that.
> One way could be to define some table where the version of the schema
> is placed for look up. But is there a need to define a "version-table"
> or is there some kind of other common way to place schema-version
> information into derby?
Hi Malte,

I'm accustomed to generalizing this approach. I have found that my Derby
apps need to remember various odd configuration bits. I put these bits
in a miscellaneous key/value table. One of the key/value pairs is the
version of the application schema. Often you can get away with the value
column being a String type. But it could be a user-defined type, for
instance one bound to java.io.Serializable.

Hope this helps,
-Rick