I have two more questions :

1 - in case server has been shutdown abruptly, db.lck
  and dbex.lck files are still present in <dbdir>.
  Later on, if derby server is only started but no client ever
  connects to this database, these files remain there, unchanged.
  Thus, even after derby server has been properly shutdown,
  db.lck files are to be expected : in this case, this does not
  indicate that <dbdir> is unsuitable for copy.

2 - OK, I'll try to connect to server port to see if it succeeds
  or not. However, is it correct to assume that
  "1527 port no more bound" implies "all <dbdir> are safe for backup" ?
  In case derby server first closes its server socket, _then_ closes
  properly all the opened databases, this assumption may be false.
  (I haven't looked into derby server code yet ; I have observed though
  that server shutdown may require several seconds, depending on
  file system type, machine load...)

So in conclusion, it is still quite hard to figure out _when_ it is safe
to backup a <dbdir>. Am I wrong ?
Anyway I'll try to deal with all these informations.
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
  M. Maison