On 21.09.2012 18:54, Mo Maison wrote:

Thank you for this tip.
I do not feel confident with whole DB freeze, as I do not know DB size,
thus I can't estimate the time required to copy files. Also I fear something
goes wrong and UNFREEZE is never called.
In case, is restarting the Derby server sufficient to "forget" this frozen state ?

Yes.

Regarding my initial question : is there somewhere a file to watch
that indicates that server is fully shutdown ?
There is probably a kind of lock file that indicates that a DB is being used ?

<dbdir>/db.lock is created when a database is booted by a VM, to avoid several VMs trying to boot the same database.
The derby *server* (engine) can open several databases. By by shutting down a database
the corresponding lock file is removed, but the server can still be alive waiting for connections. Presently, I think the only way to portably
check if the server is still alive is to try to connect to its port.

Thanks,
Dag

Watching server process in /proc would be ugly and not portable.

M. Maison