db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Official releases : 10.6.2.2 ? 10.6.2.3 ?
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:29:22 GMT
Maison Mo <momaison@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> As I encountered some problems with Derby connections after deadlocks,
> I searched into bug database and found a very similar bug :
>
> I use 10.6.2.1. According to jira, this bug is solved in 10.6.2.2.
> Unfortunately I wasn't aware that some newer versions were available
> (staying at 10.6.*) : even 10.6.2.3 seems to exist, with quite a lot
> of bug fixes too :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel&allVersions=true
>
> However these versions do not appear in download page :
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
>
> Have they been officially released ?

No, 10.6.2.1 is the latest official release from the 10.6 branch.
10.6.2.3 is the version number used to identify binaries built from the
head of the 10.6 code tree.

> Can they be downloaded ?

Only as source, by checking out the 10.6 branch (see
http://db.apache.org/derby/dev/derby_source.html). You'll have to build
the binaries yourself.

> Or would it be better to upgrade to a new major version like 10.8.2.2
> or upcoming 10.8.2.3 ?

Building from the latest sources on one of the stable branches (not
trunk) will typically give you more bug fixes than if you use an
official release. Although this in theory means they are better than the
official releases, they have received less testing by the community, so
the official releases are generally considered more stable (as long as
they are fairly recent).

If you need a bug fix that's only available in the latest official
release, it's certainly easier to upgrade to that release than it is to
build and maintain your own version. The main exceptions are if your
integration tests find that your application has problems with the new
version, or if you find that any of the issues mentioned in the release
notes would affect your application. In those cases, you may find it
easier to stay at an older major version and build your own binaries
from that code base.

Hope this helps,

--
Knut Anders