db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag Wanvik <dag.wan...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Stopping network server & cold backup
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 20:23:29 GMT

On 21.09.2012 18:54, Mo Maison wrote:

> Thank you for this tip.
> I do not feel confident with whole DB freeze, as I do not know DB size,
> thus I can't estimate the time required to copy files. Also I fear
> something
> goes wrong and UNFREEZE is never called.
> In case, is restarting the Derby server sufficient to "forget" this
> frozen state ?

Yes.

> Regarding my initial question : is there somewhere a file to watch
> that indicates that server is fully shutdown ?
> There is probably a kind of lock file that indicates that a DB is
> being used ?

<dbdir>/db.lock is created when a database is booted by a VM, to avoid
several VMs trying to boot the same database.
The derby *server* (engine) can open several databases. By by shutting
down a database
the corresponding lock file is removed, but the server can still be
alive waiting for connections. Presently, I think the only way to portably
check if the server is still alive is to try to connect to its port.

Thanks,
Dag