db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Rollforward recovery problem
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 22:43:30 GMT
On 9/6/2012 1:53 PM, istanbullu wrote:
> Hi Kathey,
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> The sample DB I have is fairly large and contains confidential info, so I
> cannot share it.  I will see if I can reproduce the problem with a simpler
> scenario.  Also, I will try to reproduce it using ij.  What I currently have
> are Java programs.
A java reproduction would be great too, even better probably, we just
need to try to recreate the behavior.

> In your example, did you see just one file under seg0?  Note that if I
> delete all files under seg0, I do not see an issue: DB is restored
> successfully.
No. A new database on trunk had 72 files in an empty database. Making
the two tables in my repro attempt added two more.

> Derby network server was not shutdown.  I tried to do rollforward recovery
> over Network server.
So  was the database booted at the time you attempted the restore? It
would be important to shut down the database before attempting a
restore. I could imagine some pretty  strange things would happen if the
database was restored whilst booted because the page cache would have
one set of data and then another get restored underneath. Sometimes I
find it helpful to try these things out on Windows as it will be more
vocal about file permissions.

I will try my reproduction on 10.5 and  with Network Server.  Please
keep us updated on your attempts to narrow this down.

Thanks

Kathey