db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Myers <david.myers.scibearsp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query regarding updating a user password
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:38:01 GMT
Bhaskar,

A quick flick through the docs finds the following page

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefnativemodifypasswordproc.html

There is even a JDBC example....

CallableStatement cs = conn.prepareCall
("CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_MODIFY_PASSWORD('shhhhh!')");
cs.execute();
cs.close();

You need to be logged on as the specified user to change the password.

Alternatively you may decide to use the reset password function, here
is the page link

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefnativeresetpasswordproc.html

Again there is a JDBC example, and you need to be the DB owner to run
the procedure.

Remeber to initiate a 'password strength' checker if you are concerned
about 'weak' password.
You may also want to check out (quote from the docs, linked in the
modify password page I posted above)

derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeMillis property sets the
password expiration time, and the
derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeThreshold property sets
the time when a user is warned that the password will expire.

David