db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alain Kuchta <alain.kuc...@etegent.com>
Subject RE: Converting SQL Server Scripts to be compatible with Derby
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:04:20 GMT
Thank you Rick. Your response was very helpful. I will research this approach.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:37 PM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Converting SQL Server Scripts to be compatible with Derby

On 8/2/12 9:36 AM, Alain Kuchta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently evaluating Derby as a potential tool for use at my
> company. We currently use SQL Server for "stand-alone" deployments of
> our software. (the database is hosted locally) We are considering
> implementing Derby for this situation instead.
>
> We would like to reuse the database creation and population scripts
> that we have written for SQL Server as much as possible for Derby.
>
> Beyond simple differences in syntax there are a two issues which are
> hindering implementing our scripts with derby.
>
> 1) Conditionals. How does one effectively replicate the IF/ELSE
> statement available in Transact-SQL when using Derby?
> 2) Local variables. Dow does one achieve a similar effect to the local
> variable declaration available in Transact-SQL?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AK

Hi Alain,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to convert Transact-SQL scripts into code which
will run against Derby. Derby's standalone sql script tool (ij) does not support conditionals
or variables. The usual solution to this problem is to put that code inside Derby stored procedures
(which are simply static Java methods) and invoke those procedures via a CALL statement. More
information on this can be found in the Derby Developer's Guide section titled "Programming
database-side JDBC routines": http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/devguide/

Hope this helps,
-Rick