db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Does SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE block transactions?
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:33:11 GMT
I have used SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE successfully with a database that is being updated
continuously (~60 transactions/second). It does not block the transactions but may slow down
the process enough such that you get lock timeouts.  Try changing the derby.locks.timeout
to something like 60 seconds and see if your problem goes away.

Just my observation and experience.

Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: istanbullu [mailto:yuksel.gunal@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:19 PM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Does SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE block transactions?

I have a tool that backs up a DB using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE.
According to the Derby admin guide, online backup does not block transactions.  However, I
see an exception thrown from another DB application trying to execute a query on the DB that
is being backed up.
The exception is: "[java.sql.SQLTransactionRollbackException]: A lock could not be obtained
within the time".  Does this imply that the admin guide is not accurate on this matter?  The
size of the DB is 8-9 GBs.  I only see this issue when DB size is larger than about 2 GBs.