db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Converting SQL Server Scripts to be compatible with Derby
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 17:36:52 GMT
On 8/2/12 9:36 AM, Alain Kuchta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m currently evaluating Derby as a potential tool for use at my
> company. We currently use SQL Server for “stand-alone” deployments of
> our software. (the database is hosted locally) We are considering
> implementing Derby for this situation instead.
>
> We would like to reuse the database creation and population scripts
> that we have written for SQL Server as much as possible for Derby.
>
> Beyond simple differences in syntax there are a two issues which are
> hindering implementing our scripts with derby.
>
> 1) Conditionals. How does one effectively replicate the IF/ELSE
> statement available in Transact-SQL when using Derby?
> 2) Local variables. Dow does one achieve a similar effect to the local
> variable declaration available in Transact-SQL?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AK

Hi Alain,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to convert Transact-SQL
scripts into code which will run against Derby. Derby's standalone sql
script tool (ij) does not support conditionals or variables. The usual
solution to this problem is to put that code inside Derby stored
procedures (which are simply static Java methods) and invoke those
procedures via a CALL statement. More information on this can be found
in the Derby Developer's Guide section titled "Programming database-side
JDBC routines": http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/devguide/

Hope this helps,
-Rick