db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: jOOQ Tutorial contribution for the "Blogs and articles about Derby" page
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:18:30 GMT
On 01.08.2012 14:11, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 8/1/12 1:17 AM, Lukas Eder wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if Derby would be interested in a jOOQ tutorial
>> contribution that could be put here:
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/blogs/index.html#persistence
>>
>> I have done this before for H2:
>> http://www.h2database.com/html/tutorial.html#using_jooq
>>
>> A more thorough tutorial can be found on the jOOQ website, for MySQL:
>> http://www.jooq.org/tutorial.php
>>
>> I'd offer to contribute and maintain this tutorial, should there be
>> any relevant changes on the jOOQ side.
>> Please, let me know what you think!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lukas
>>
> Hi Lukas,
>
> This sounds like a great idea. I'd be happy to add your jOOQ tutorial
> to the Derby website at the location you suggested.

Thanks a lot for the offer, Lukas :)

Rick, do you intend to add a link to somewhere, or to host the tutorial
on the Derby site?
I'd prefer the latter, but that poses some hurdles:
  a) someone (TM) may have to format the content as DITA
  b) Lukas will have to rely on others to push updates, or earn his
commit privileges :)

(b) may not be much of a problem once the initial page has been completed.
I'd be willing to help with (a) if that is required.

Lukas, on another note, I've noticed that you've run into trouble
because Derby doesn't have a bunch of built-in functions [1]. Have you
identified other areas where Derby integration is painful?

Regards,
--
Kristian

[1] I believe the reason is that [most of] these functions are not
described in the SQL standard(s), and standards compliance is on Derby's
charter.