Hello there,
I also don't consider myself as a OSGi super expert but just having some experience in OSGi-fying other apps for Eclipse Equinox and it's sometimes challenging.

Why is bad to by driven by system property? Consider you have bundle A that is depending on (consuming) Derby bundle, then consumer bundle should contribute a system property by normal Java means like System.setProperty().

Or in case of Equinox it's even easier as you can set system property for JVM (actually Equinox launcher) declarative in product definition XML.

More over, I'm curious about your setup because Derby bundle should be installed just and only once at most in one running OSGi environment (framework).

Libor