Hi Tim My JAVA_OPS look like that, when I use set command: JAVA_OPTS=-Dderby.system.home=c:\derby-dbs I suppose that the JAVA_OPTS are recognized by derby in my particular case. Otherweise I would not understand why derby produces and writes and reads from the given directory. It is a bit of unexplainable to me, since today it works with following ij call java %JAVA_OPTS% -Dij.protocol=jebc:derby: -jar %DERBY_HOME%/lib/derbyrun.jar ij ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/testdb;create=true;user=tralla;password=duddeldi'; Here I get the expected error now: FEHLER 08004: Die Verbindung konnte nicht authentifiziert werden. Ursache: Die Benutzer-ID oder das Kennwort ist ung³ltig. Yesterday it did not work neither via ij nor within tomcat. Always it did not matter whether the right password or user was set or not. Using tomcat I still get that ignoring of derby.properties, at least the password I am using seems not to matter at all Here my entry in context.xml for tomcat similar to the recommanded one I found in http://www.zetcode.com/db/apachederbytutorial/tomcat/ The right password is supposed to be something else , but it works :-D (?!) By the way (sorry for asking such a question of beginners :-)): Using the web-app of derby (Derby Network Server) there is the option to change max amount of threads and thread time slices. What does that mean exactly? Could that interfere with the definition of DataSource within context.xml, or is that something totally different? -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Tim Watts [mailto:tim@cliftonfarm.org] Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Juli 2012 22:36 An: Derby Discussion Betreff: Re: AW: schema-questions On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 18:13 +0200, Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com wrote: > I start tomcat (version 6) with ist startup batch file only > OK. What displays when you type echo %JAVA_OPTS% at the command prompt? To verify whether it's being passed through to Tomcat try saving the following to webapps/ROOT/test.jsp then pointing your browser to http://localhost:8080/test.jsp . test.jsp: --------- derby.system.home=<%= System.getProperty("derby.system.home") %>
JAVA_OPTS=<%= System.getenv("JAVA_OPTS") %>
I have verified on my system that derby.properties is recognized when setting derby.system.home via JAVA_OPTS. (Derby 10.8.1.2) > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- > Von: Tim Watts [mailto:tim@cliftonfarm.org] > Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Juli 2012 18:08 > An: Derby Discussion > Betreff: Re: schema-questions > > On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 16:44 +0200, Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com wrote: > > Another thing I am wondreing is, that it seems not to matter using a > > user or not using following derby.properties, though: > > derby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0 > > derby.database.fullAccessUsers=tech > > derby.database.defaultConnectionMode=readOnlyAccess > > derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true > > derby.user.tech=lala_dongs > > derby.user.rou=gaga_bings > > > > derby.authentication.provider=builtin > > > > > > derby seems not to use my derby.proerties. I have put them to the > > directory, which is given in the derby.system.home > > Java-system-property. > > It is told to put this system-property into the environment variable > > JAVA_OPTS, so tomcat would use it for starting up. > > I am using Windows-XP so I defined ths environment-variable in the > > dialog as user defined variable. > > What am I missing, since derby.properties seem not to work may be > > not even been read. > > > Are you running Tomcat as a service? If so then see this: > > > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html > > (adjust according to the tomcat version you're using). > > > Thanks for hints in advance > > > > Malte > > >