db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Malte.Kem...@de.equens.com>
Subject AW: AW: schema-questions
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:15:00 GMT

Hi José,

It might be a bit theoreticly thining of my own, but my motivation is here that the application
code should not necessaryly know about the schema name, as well it does not know anything
about user and password.

On the other hand, I researched a bit further what oracle got in this case:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2353594/default-schema-in-oracle-connection-url

supprisingly, there is a similar question from an oracle user and oracle seems to have anything
here either :-D

Even though from a theoretical point of view, this request might be to exotic :-/

Well I put as set schema now in my applicational code.

Malte

________________________________

Von: José Ventura [mailto:st.never@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 23. Juli 2012 16:45
An: Derby Discussion
Betreff: Re: AW: schema-questions

Out of curiosity, and maybe a little off-topic: is there a reason to use a separate schema,
when you can use a separate database?

For example, if I have two completely unrelated applications, I think I would create two databases,
and one datasource for each:

<Resource name="jdbc/app1ds" url="jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/app1db" ..... />
<Resource name="jdbc/app2ds" url="jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/app2db" ..... />

On Oracle I may have one database with several schemas, hence the need to specify the one
I want. On Derby, would there be a benefit to reuse the same database with multiple schemas?

Just asking off the top of my head, I haven't really tried the above...

- José