db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Malte.Kem...@de.equens.com>
Subject AW: schema-questions
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:15:16 GMT

Hi Rick,
Thanks a lot for you fast answer.

Right now I am just trying to practice some web-application programming, so it does not matter
much to me using BUILTIN, even though it has no productive quality. But thanks for the hint
with NATIVE.
Using the configuration right now lets use Tomcat the right db-directory, so I am afraid,
that it not quite clear a tomcat issue.
Did I understand the documentation of derby correctly that java-system-property 'derby.system.home'
points to the directory derby.properties would be used from? If I got that right than something
must have happened to that property, even though derby uses the correct directory for ist
db-instances. Is there a way to show up the properties the derby-engine is using or getting?

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Juli 2012 17:11
An: derby-user@db.apache.org
Betreff: Re: schema-questions

Hi Malta,

One general issue: I see that you are trying to use BUILTIN authentication. Note that BUILTIN
authentication is not production-quality. It is appropriate only for testing/development purposes.
In 10.9.1 we introduced NATIVE authentication, a production-quality replacement for BUILTIN.
You are encouraged to upgrade to 10.9.1 and to use NATIVE authentication instead. Hopefully,
you will find that NATIVE authentication is easier to administer than BUILTIN was.

Some more comments inline...

On 7/17/12 7:44 AM, Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com wrote:
> hi to all,
> I am using derby (10.8)  with tomcat and used following side helping
> me seitting them up:
> http://www.zetcode.com/db/apachederbytutorial/tomcat/
> Trying to build up a simple web-application where you could register
> as user etc. I have following schema *CREATE SCHEMA USER_STUFF;
> CREATE TABLE USERS(  name           VARCHAR(100) PRIMARY KEY
>                    , hatchi         VARCHAR(40)
>                    , email          VARCHAR(100)
>                    , imagename      VARCHAR(100)
>                    , tstmp_in       TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT
> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>                    , tstmp_up       TIMESTAMP
>                   );*
> now I am wondering that when I connect myself as a user the name of
> the schema's name is equal to the user's name.
> If I don't use any user my schema's name seems to be the default
> schema name "APP".
> I thought using the first line of my sql script produces a schema
> named USER_STUFF.
> What is happening here, what am I doing wrong?
Yes, the first command creates a schema called USER_STUFF owned by the APP user. However,
that command does not change your session to use the new USER_STUFF schema. To change your
default schema, you need to use this command:

set schema USER_STUFF;
> Another thing I am wondreing is, that it seems not to matter using a
> user or not using following derby.properties, though:
> *derby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
> derby.database.fullAccessUsers=tech
> derby.database.defaultConnectionMode=readOnlyAccess
> derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true
> derby.user.tech=lala_dongs
> derby.user.rou=gaga_bings*
> **
> *derby.authentication.provider=builtin*
> derby seems not to use my derby.proerties. I have put them to the
> directory, which is given in the derby.system.home Java-system-property.
> It is told to put this system-property into the environment variable
> JAVA_OPTS, so tomcat would use it for starting up.
> I am using  Windows-XP so I defined ths environment-variable in the
> dialog as user defined variable.
> What am I missing, since derby.properties seem not to work may be not
> even been read.
I'm afraid I don't have any theories here. Maybe someone who uses Tomcat on Windows can give
some advice.

Hope this helps,
-Rick