db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mo Maison <momai...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Stopping network server & cold backup
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:49:24 GMT
Hello Derby users,

I encounter sometimes a problem during cold backups :
Derby is launched as a server (listening localhost only ) ;
I stop the network server with standard command :
   java -cp ... \
   org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl shutdown \
   -h localhost -p 1527

Right after command has returned, I perform a tar of the
database files.
However, I have observed that, on a slow filesystem, somes
files get deleted while tar is reading them. Which let me think
that server is not fully stopped when process returns
(and thus backup may be corrupted).

Is that expected ?
How can I be sure that everything is quiescent before performing
the cold backup ?
I use Derby 10.6.2 on 32 bits Linux.

Thank you for your advices,

  M. Maison