db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: AW: schema-questions
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:50:10 GMT
On 7/17/12 9:15 AM, Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com wrote:

> Hi Rick,
> Thanks a lot for you fast answer.
>
> Right now I am just trying to practice some web-application programming, so it does not
matter much to me using BUILTIN, even though it has no productive quality. But thanks for
the hint with NATIVE.
> Using the configuration right now lets use Tomcat the right db-directory, so I am afraid,
that it not quite clear a tomcat issue.
> Did I understand the documentation of derby correctly that java-system-property 'derby.system.home'
points to the directory derby.properties would be used from?
Hi Malte,

Yes, that is correct.
>   If I got that right than something must have happened to that property, even though
derby uses the correct directory for ist db-instances. Is there a way to show up the properties
the derby-engine is using or getting?
There is no easy way to get this information right now. I think that it
is reasonable that the DBO would want to view this information and I
have logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5861 to track
this enhancement. In the meantime, I have attached a table function to
that issue along with instructions on how to use it. You should be able
to use that table function to print out the derby properties that are
visible from a database. The table function will not print out the
BUILTIN credentials but it will print out the values of properties like
derby.authentication.provider.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

BUILTIN authentication is not production-quality. It is appropriate only for testing/development
purposes. In 10.9.1 we introduced NATIVE authentication, a production-quality replacement
for BUILTIN. You are encouraged to upgrade to 10.9.1 and to use NATIVE authentication instead.
Hopefully, you will find that NATIVE authentication is easier to administer than BUILTIN was.

> Some more comments inline...
>
> On 7/17/12 7:44 AM, Malte.Kempff@de.equens.com wrote:
>> hi to all,
>> I am using derby (10.8)  with tomcat and used following side helping
>> me seitting them up:
>> http://www.zetcode.com/db/apachederbytutorial/tomcat/
>> Trying to build up a simple web-application where you could register
>> as user etc. I have following schema *CREATE SCHEMA USER_STUFF;
>> CREATE TABLE USERS(  name           VARCHAR(100) PRIMARY KEY
>>                     , hatchi         VARCHAR(40)
>>                     , email          VARCHAR(100)
>>                     , imagename      VARCHAR(100)
>>                     , tstmp_in       TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT
>> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>>                     , tstmp_up       TIMESTAMP
>>                    );*
>> now I am wondering that when I connect myself as a user the name of
>> the schema's name is equal to the user's name.
>> If I don't use any user my schema's name seems to be the default
>> schema name "APP".
>> I thought using the first line of my sql script produces a schema
>> named USER_STUFF.
>> What is happening here, what am I doing wrong?
> Yes, the first command creates a schema called USER_STUFF owned by the APP user. However,
that command does not change your session to use the new USER_STUFF schema. To change your
default schema, you need to use this command: