db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John I. Moore, Jr." <softmo...@att.net>
Subject Derby 10.9.1.0 Incompatible with "Substituted" Drives on Windows
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:32:57 GMT
Derby Users and Developers,

I have an application that has used Derby (with the Network Server) for years, and overall
I have
been extremely pleased.  However, I ran into a problem when trying to upgrade to 10.9.1.0.

I have three computing environments that I work in, which can be thought of a development,
test, and
production.  For reasons not worth the trouble of explaining, these three environments are
slightly
different, but until the latest release of Derby I could make them appear to be very similar
by the
use of the Windows "subst" command, which associates a path with a drive letter.  For example,
the
command "subst K: C:\SomeDir" makes the system appear to have a "K" drive, which in reality
is
simply mapped to the directory SomeDir on the C drive.  All previous versions of Derby handled
databases on this substituted K drive without any problems, but version 10.9.1.0 breaks on
it.  I
was able to get around this problem by setting up a virtual drive using a different approach,
so now
I have been able to upgrade Derby, but I wanted to point out the problem is case others have
encountered it.

John Moore