db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Merge and combine different data from databases
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:30:43 GMT
On 6/13/12 10:02 PM, jaz1988 wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Currently I have a DB named myDB and myDB consists of a few tables in it.
> Lets say I want to write to myDB from different computers concurrently(each
> computer will have its own myDB), how do I merge and combine the DB from
> each computer into 1 central DB at the end of the day?
>
> Is there a proper way to it in Apache Derby?
>
> Thanks!
If each machine really has to have its own database, and you can't use a
central server as Bryan suggests, then you might take a look at the
ForeignTableVTI attached to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4962. This table function is
useful for the sort of end-of-the-day data integration problem you
describe. Essentially what you would do is this:

1) In the central database, create a separate schema for each of the
satellite databases.

2) Then, in each schema, use ForeignTableVTI to declare views which will
siphon the data out of the corresponding satellite.

Hope this helps,
-Rick