db-derby-user mailing list archives

From mogoye <sylvain.rou...@eloquant.com>
Subject Re: Strange OutOfMemory in unittest
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:13:14 GMT

Thx a lot for your answer.

> I can only speculate on the 'why' but perhaps more importantly is how
> big a heap are you currently allocating and have you tried bumping that
> up?

I've connected JConsole to my process I it seems that the process never
allocate more than 80Mb (so very few memory). I'm currently trying to
reproduce the OutOfMemory, with JVM launched with
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError parameter. But Since I added this param I
could not reproduce the problem.

> As to 'why', well perhaps it is just a timing thing where the code needs
> to allocate more objects but the gc hasn't run yet to free more space.

My last tests are consistent with the hypothesis of a timming problem.
But has my process does not use more than 80Mb I don't think this a a pbm
with GC as JVM could still allocate memory.

> One other question:  Are you running your tests from Eclipse in the same
> jvm?  If you run them from a shell would you get the same failure rate?

Yes my test was running using eclispe "run as Junit Test".
Actually I could not reproduce pbm running the test in command line (mvn
clean install).

Sylvain