db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: limit on the number of columns
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 16:08:08 GMT
On 5/24/12 4:26 AM, Patrick Meyer wrote:
> I am aware that Derby has a limit of 1,012 columns for each table, but
> many users of my application (it is a program for statistical
> analysis) have very large files that go well beyond this number of
> columns. Does anyone know of a strategy for using multiple tables to
> present one large “virtual” table to end users? Is there a way to
> chain tables together to have an endless number of columns? Is this
> something that can be done through SQL statements? Any advice,
> examples or documentation on such a strategy would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Patrick
Hi Patrick,

This appears to me to be an arbitrary limit in Derby, one which we could
investigate lifting. To track this issue, I have filed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5781. This kind of change
would have to appear in a feature release. The 1012 limit also applies
to the number of columns in a SELECT list. This is another arbitrary
limit which we should consider lifting:

View raw message