db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a few questions to Apache Derby Database
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 14:36:28 GMT
>> *_java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space_*
>>
>> Is it because of the size of our database (3,1 GB!)? and what can I do to improve
the performance of the Derby Database, and
>> to resolve the error?
>>
> The Derby Tuning Guide provides a lot of useful general advice about how to tune the
performance of a Derby-powered application:
place to pose more specific questions
> about performance problems which you are seeing.
>
> Most of Derby-allocated memory belongs to the Derby page cache. You can trim the size
of the Derby page cache by adjusting the
> derby.storage.pageCacheSize property, as discussed in the Derby Reference Manual: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/

It wasn't obvious from the original question whether you are running
Derby embedded, or in Client-Server mode. If you are running embedded,
the single JVM has to satisfy the memory needs of Derby *and* those
of your application, so memory issues in your application can present
symptoms in Derby.

In addition to reducing Derby's usage of memory by setting various
properties to limit its usage, you can also grant the overall JVM
more space by setting larger values for the -Xmx flags, etc.

thanks,

bryan