db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: a few questions to Apache Derby Database
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 13:10:52 GMT
Hello,

Some responses inline...

On 5/18/12 1:32 AM, Awad, Luay wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have the following questions to Apache Derby Database:
>
> 1.Does Derby have any limit on the database size?( the size of our
> Database is about 3,1 GB )
>
> 2.Dose Derby have any problems to manage database sizes over 1GB?

There is no theoretical limit to the size of a Derby database. The Java
DB team has run Derby on databases up to 500GB in size.

> 3.We have with Derby database many performance problems, we got some
> times  an Out of Memory Error because of Java heap space, and our
> Server was down, the error was like follows:
>
> 2012-02-23 12:41:58,353 ERROR - Error in ID LOGIK call:
>
> 2012-02-23 12:41:58,353 ERROR - Service: *_scores.GetAllCasesFiltered_*
>
> 2012-02-23 12:41:58,353 ERROR - Parameter: {IP=192.168.144.72,
> MODULE_ACTIVE=true, CASE_ID=*,
>
> SESSION_ID=zisruwoldl_C0A89048_1329995925686, DEPARTMENT=*, MODUL=9,
> PROXY_MODULES=ID_SCORER_PKMS, LASTNAME=*, FIRSTNAME=*, WARD=*}
>
> 2012-02-23 12:41:58,353 ERROR - *_Throwable: Java heap space_*
>
> *_java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space_*
>
> Is it because of the size of our database (3,1 GB!)? and what can I do
> to improve the performance of the Derby Database, and to resolve the
> error?

The Derby Tuning Guide provides a lot of useful general advice about how
to tune the performance of a Derby-powered application:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/tuning/ This derby-user mailing
list is the right place to pose more specific questions about
performance problems which you are seeing.

Most of Derby-allocated memory belongs to the Derby page cache. You can
trim the size of the Derby page cache by adjusting the
derby.storage.pageCacheSize property, as discussed in the Derby
Reference Manual: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/

Perhaps other people can recommend their favorite tools for profiling
performance and memory usage.

Hope this helps,
-Rick