db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Activity 3: Run a JDBC program using the embedded driver
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 13:33:43 GMT
> and echo $CLASSPATH
> /home/kb9agt/jdk1.7/db/lib/derby.jar:.
> I see A : separated list of directories
>
> I think I need
> java -cp $CLASSPATH WwdEmbedded
> Yep. Did the trick. Please update the tutorial as soon as you can.

I'm glad you got it figured out, but I'm not sure what's wrong.

The whole point of setting your CLASSPATH variable is that you do
*not* need to say '-cp $CLASSPATH', since the 'java' executable
will use the CLASSPATH environment variable when no '-cp' argument
is present on the command line.

I'm having trouble figuring out things you might have done where
'-cp $CLASSPATH' is different from omitting the -cp argument entirely.

Is it possible that you did

   set CLASSPATH=...

instead of doing

   export CLASSPATH=...