db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <amania...@apache.org>
Subject Derby database
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 10:13:35 GMT
Running Derby 10.8, a customer has managed to corrupt their database somehow (possibly by forcing
the database to quit when it did not shut down fast enough to their liking). I see that when
I connect to it with ij in embedded mode, I get the following:

    ERROR 40XD2: Container Container(0, 36049) cannot be opened; it either has been dropped
or does not exist.

My reading so far suggests that page 0 of some data with id 36049 is corrupt. Is there further
diagnostics I can do to determine whether this data is just an index which could be rebuilt
or something else? Are there further tools I can use to progress? Can I excise the bad data
and manually replace it later?

I can restore from backup, however the loss of a day's work since that backup would be unfortunate.
It does not appear that rollforward logs were enabled.

mysql has a startup mode which allows it to start up in the face of data corruption and then
attempt recovery. Does Derby have a similar concept?

Regards

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis