db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Re: Database shutdown not releasing file handles
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:27:55 GMT
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Kristian Waagan
<kristian.waagan@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 04.04.12 05:23, Trejkaz wrote:
>>
>> We have the occasional user reporting that after shutting down the
>> database, they can see file handles still open.
>>
>> We're using ;shutdown=true (or at least the DataSource equivalent of
>> it) to do this, and we were led to believe that this would be
>> sufficient to release all file handles.
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, it should, but can you please clarify if you're talking about database
> shutdown or Derby system shutdown?

Just individual database shutdown.

> Also, do you know to what kinds of files Derby keeps open handles?

The files which are held are:

 seg0\c951.dat
 seg0\c861.dat
 seg0\c211.dat
 seg0\c71.dat
 seg0\c130.dat
 seg0\c731.dat
 seg0\cf0.dat

These do seem to be closed at some point *after* shutdown returns,
leading us to believe that shutdown doesn't necessarily shut down
"now", but rather "some time in the future."

The timing is like this:

 11:09:02.0444360 AM - close call presumably finishes around here
 11:10:00.8759376 AM - we attempt to rename the directory
 11:10:00.8760454 AM - first close call after our rename attempt
 11:10:12.4420715 AM - last close call after our rename attempt

>> Is it possible that shutdown doesn't actually shut the database down?
>
> Which version of Derby are you running with?

v10.8.2.2.

Another probably-critical piece of information I missed was that the
OS is Windows. (If it had been Linux, we probably wouldn't ever notice
this sort of thing since we discovered the issue when trying to move a
file which was held open.)

Daniel