The first question would be, "Is JDBC too much for me?"

If you are familiar with JDBC and frameworks built upon it (Hibernate, etc), then Derby's required configuration is definitely tiny by comparison. You can run an embedded database by just:
Once you get a JDBC Connection you can use it to execute CREATE TABLEs and the like, and then you're ready to go.

If you aren't familiar with JDBC (or think it is overkill as well), then maybe you could take a look at other persistent stores: the only one that comes to my mind right now is Prevayler, but I'm sure there are several others (I know of several NoSQL stores -- but if Derby is overkill for you then I suppose they will be too).

Just my 2 cents.