db-derby-user mailing list archives

From José Ventura <st.ne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to approach Derby embedded?
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 12:34:09 GMT
The first question would be, "Is JDBC too much for me?"

If you are familiar with JDBC and frameworks built upon it (Hibernate,
etc), then Derby's required configuration is definitely tiny by comparison.
You can run an embedded database by just:

   - adding derby.jar to your classpath (if using maven, that's already
   done for you)
   - specifying your JDBC url as
   "jdbc:derby:path/to/database/directory;create=true"
   - specifying your JDBC driver as "org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"

Once you get a JDBC Connection you can use it to execute CREATE TABLEs and
the like, and then you're ready to go.

If you aren't familiar with JDBC (or think it is overkill as well), then
maybe you could take a look at other persistent stores: the only one that
comes to my mind right now is Prevayler <http://prevayler.org/>, but I'm
sure there are several others (I know of several NoSQL stores -- but if
Derby is overkill for you then I suppose they will be too).

Just my 2 cents.