db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Xeanor <xeanor6+nab...@gmail.com>
Subject Can't remove derby from memory
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:51:25 GMT

Greetings,

I am developing a mobile solution for an Intermec CN3 (WinCE) running
Websphere J9 (java 1.4) with a total of 108.44MB of memory to work with.  I
have noticed that when Derby is loaded, I cannot load bluetooth drivers
(bluecove) without getting the error "Not enough memory" from the
classloader, so I attempted to unload the JDBC drivers in order to make
room.  I have noticed that no matter what I do, the ~10MB of memory that is
taken when the database connect is initiated is held no matter what commands
I run in the end.  I've looked around and seen similar problems, but nothing
that helps me in particular.

I use this line to instantiate the driver:
dynamDS =
(EmbeddedSimpleDataSource)Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedSimpleDataSource").newInstance();

And this one to terminate it:
dynamDS.setShutdownDatabase("shutdown");
dynamDS.setDatabaseName(null);

and also tried this:
DriverManager.deregisterDriver((Driver) o);

But J9 had no idea what DriverManager was and threw an exception (desktop
test worked great).  If it makes any difference, I also use two databases at
once.