db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kenneth McDonald <kenneth.m.mcdon...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject How to approach Derby embedded?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 22:51:27 GMT
I need a very simple (even SQL is more than what I need) embedded database for some persistent
stores. Derby seems like it would be ideal, except that even configuring seems to require
more than what I need. In particular, I'm seeing in the docs that I need to edit my class
path (which I shouldn't need to do for my purposes), that I may need to set up more complex
configurations (than I need for my purposes), etc. etc. Can this be simplified?

More specifically; I have Derby downloaded and installed via Maven (actually via SBT in Scala).
I want to run it as a purely embedded jar, to provide persistent store and dirt-simple queries.
I don't want to worry about shell variables, CLIs, or any similar hooey--just the simplest
possible SQL to store/access my data. Can I do this with Derby?

My comparison point is bdb the way bdb was under Python several versions ago--not the way
bdb has become more recently. Can I achieve a similar level of simplicity?

Thanks,
Ken