db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Views dropped automatically when altering tables?
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:43:45 GMT
Hi John,

This is one of many areas where Derby's dependency tracking could be
improved. I think that Derby is over-aggressive in dropping views when
you drop a column in the underlying table. As I read the SQL Standard
(part 2, section 11.19 <drop column definition>), a RESTRICTed column
drop does not need to affect views which don't reference the column.
However, in this situation, Derby sees all views on the table as
blocking dependencies. The following script shows this:

connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:db;create=true';

create table t( a varchar( 10 ), b varchar( 10 ) );
create view v1 as select a from t;
select * from v1;

-- column alteration is ok, the view is not dropped
alter table t alter column a set data type varchar( 20 );
select * from v1;

-- adding a column is ok, the view is not dropped
alter table t add column c int;
select * from v1;

-- dropping a column behaves over-aggressively. the view does not need
to prevent this action.
alter table t drop column b restrict;
select * from v1;

-- similarly, the view does not need to be dropped here. derby does
issue a warning that v1 is dropped.
alter table t drop column b;
select * from v1;

Thanks,