db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Karl Weber <karl.webe...@googlemail.com>
Subject Shutdown DB does not work / threadding issue
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:45:49 GMT
Hi,

I am using Derby DB in an embedded environment. I am shutting down the DB and
the system using the following two methods (I have ommitted all try-catch-
finally stuff, logging etc.)

Shutting down the DB, where fDS is an EmbeddedDataSource40:

public void shutdownDB() {
	fDS.setShutdownDatabase("shutdown");
	fDS.getConnection().close();
}

Shutting down the system:

public void shutdownDerby() {
	DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");
}

This works, if it is done on the thread that is shutting down my OSGi
component, which encapsulates Derby, i.e. the deactivate-method called by the
OSGi framework. This does, however, _not_ work, if it is put in a separate
thread in the deactivate-method, as in

new Thread(new Runnable() {
	@Override
	public void run() {
		shutdownBD();
		shutdownDerby();
	}
}).start();

In this case, the Runnable stops at the statement

fDS.getConnection().close();

No Throwable is thrown. Nevertheless, the DB does not seem to be stopped
correctly, as in the latter case (only) I find the two files dbex.lck and
db.lck in the DB folder.

Right before this "last" statement is called, I have around 12 threads
running, so the thread running the Runnable will most probably not be the last
thread in the JVM, if that matters.

For some reason I would like to shutdown things asynchroneously. What do I
miss here?

I am using Derby 10.8.2.2.

/Karl